... experience the mysterious and magical adventure

Send Inquiry

Home » FAQs

Annapurna Himalaya Range Annapurna Himalaya Range Everest

FAQ stands for Frequently Asked Questions. We collect all the needed questions for your easiness which will help a lot to understand about us and about important information.

Q: Where is Nepal located?

A: Nepal is a land locked mountainous country in southern Asia. Nepal is located between India and China in the middle of the Himalayan range.

Q: What is to know more about Nepal?

A: It is a small country with an area of 147,181 sq km. Nepal is known as the Himalayan kingdom. Its population is about 29 millions people of different ethnicities, culture and languages. Nepal is 885 km long (east west) and is 193 km at its widest point. Nepal is among the poorest country in the world with many people living below the poverty line.

Nepal is geographically, culturally and linguistically diverse. Nepal has many historical places, artistic monuments and exotic wildlife which attract visitors for casual holidays, tours, and adventure activities.

Beside the famous Mt Everest, Nepal is also popular for being the birthplaces of Lord Buddha, and Lord Sita.

Agriculture and tourism are two important economic sectors.

Q: What is Nepal country known for?

A: Nepal is the birthplace of Lord Buddha at Lumbini, which is located at the lower part of Nepal known as Terai, near the Indian border of Sonauli. Nepal is also the birthplace of Hindu Lord Sita, located at Janakpur in the Terai region. Nepal is known for the world’s highest mountain; Mount Everest, which is 8848 meter tall. Nepal is also known for its legendary warriors, the Gorkhas who fought in world wars with their unique knives known as Khukuri. The bravery of the Gorkhas fighters are very famous.

Nepal was the only Hindu Kingdom in the world. Nepal is a natural beauty, here water and natural resources are plentiful.

Q: Where is Capital of Nepal?

A: The capital of Nepal is called Kathmandu and situated in the centre of Nepal in a bowl shaped valley.

Q: What is the currency of Nepal?

A: Nepalese currency is called Nepali Rupees (NPR) The exchange rates are ; USD/NPR about 70 NPR, EUR/NPR about 96 NPR and CHF/NPR about 69 NPR.

Q: What is traditional Nepali Food?

A: Traditional Nepali food is called dal bhat tarkari and achar. In English, it means lentil, rice and vegetable. Achar (the pickle) makes Nepali food more tasty. Porridge is mostly used in village area where a lot of corn, wheat and millet are grown. For breakfast, mostly peas, roasted corn with soyabeans and roti (Nepali bread) are prepared. Many people just take tea then eat lunch at about 9 am.

Q: Is Nepal safe to travel?

A: The guest and visitors are heartedly welcome in Nepal. Nepalese tradition is known for its hospitality and locals will welcome foreign visitors with pure heart in their place.

Therefore, traveling and trekking in Nepal is very safe. However, it is not recommended to trek alone. Though most of trails are well maintained and frequented, it is certainly risky to trek alone. There are several cases of lone trekkers who lost their way or met with an accident. Therefore it is recommended to use experienced guides who know how to deal with the various difficulties and dangers of the mountain. Women travelers are also recommended to not travel/trek alone.

Cautious should also be used when traveling in public transportation.

It is also recommended to take a travel insurance.

Q: What about climate in Nepal?

A: Nepal has its own calendar. Nepalese calendar is 57 years ahead than English calendar. Nepal has its own seasons shown below.

Nepali Months

Nepali seasons

English Months

Nepali Seasons

Chaitra /Baishakh
Jestha /Ashad
Shrawan / Bhadra
Ashoj / kartik
Mangshir / Paush
Magh / Phalgun
mid Feb - mid Apr
mid Apr  - mid Jun
mid Jun  - mid Aug
mid Aug - mid Oct
mid Oct  - mid Dec
mid Dec - mid Feb
Early Autumn
Late Autumn

Q: Weather of Nepal

A: The weather in Nepal varies from sub tropical to moderate. The capital, Kathmandu reaches below 1 Degree Celsius (34 F) during the winter and rises to an average 33 Degree Celsius (92 F) during the summer. Mostly there is neither heating nor air conditioning system. Though it does not fall below 0 degree in winter it remains very cold also due to high humidity. In the Terai region the temperature in summer goes higher than 40 degree. In the winter the temperature falls to around 1 degree.

Q: How safe is traveling to Nepal?


Q: Do I Need a visa to enter Nepal?

A: Yes. All visitors require VISA to enter Nepal. Tourist Visa is available from Royal Nepalese Embassy/ consulate located in your country or different entry point through immigration offices located at the borders.

Q: Can I Get Tourist Visa from the Airport?

A: Yes, you can get tourist visa from Nepal airport but make sure to bring a valid passport and two passport size photos and needed visa fees.

Q: Do i need special trekking permit?

A: Yes, you need special trekking permit for certain restricted area. Normally you need TIMS (trekking information management system) card which is normal trekking permit. Without TIMS you can not go to trekking in any region.

  • Annapurna, Everest, Helambu and Langtang : No special Permit Required but you must have TIMS card which is normal permit.
  • Mustang and Dolpo : US$ 700 for the first 10 days and $70 per day thereafter
  • Manaslu : US$90 per week
  • Humla : US$ 90 per week. $15 per day thereafter

Q: Is Trekking Permit different than Mountain Climbing Permit?

A: Yes. Trekking permit is only limited to trekking in the designated areas but not for peak climbing. Mountain climbing or peak climbing is a separate permit issued by the Nepal Government. Here are the fees:

  • 1 to 4 people : US$ 350
  • 5 to 8 people : US$ 350 and $40 per person if more than 8

Please note: All peak climbing permits are valid for a month and it only takes account of the time you spend climbing a peak / mountain, but not the time you spend in getting to the base or return from there. Permit requires everyone in the group to have insurance, and the group be accompanied by a certified guide from the Nepal Mountaineer Association.

Q: What is the Electricity System in Nepal or Will my Lap top work in Nepal?

A: Nepal's Electricity is 220 Volt and 50 MHZ (50 Cycles per Second). Electric Plug is two or three round prongs, but not flat prongs as found in use in the United States or in other countries. If your electronic uses 110 Volt 60 MHZ electricity, you will need a voltage convert.

Q: What to buy in Nepal or what souvenir can buy in Nepal?

A: There is much different stuff but Pashmina, and Nepalese arts and crafts, and Nepali musical instruments such as Madal and Banshuri (flute) Sarangi are your best bet. Nepali Carpet is also among popular purchase by tourists.

Most popular foreign purchases are (a) Nepali handmade papers (b) Thankas-Tibetan Paintings (c) Pashmina (d) Nepali Kukuri / Knives (e) silver jewelries (f) Nepali Cap; Topi (g) Nepali dress (h) Nepali Carpets also Fashion clothes, garments and accessories.

Q: Where can be buying them?

You can buy them from tourist shops scattered throughout Nepal. Most popular shopping place for tourist is Thamel. Check that place out for shopping for your loved once back home before you leave Nepal!

Q: How to go Nepal?

A: By Air: Some of the major international airlines operating scheduled services to Nepal are Royal Nepal Airlines, Air Ethihad, British Airways, Biman Bangladesh, China South West Airlines, Druk Air, Gulf Air, India Air, Thai Airways, Qatar, Pakistan Air and Singapore Airlines. By air, you will arrive at the Tribunal International Airport located in the heart of Kathmandu City.

By Road: There are several entry points by land route. To enter Nepal from India borders; Kakarvita, Birgunj, Bhairahawa, Nepalganj, Dhangadhi, Mahendranagar . There are several busses, domestic airlines, micro buses, and private cars are available.

Q: Does ATM card work in Nepal?

A: Yes, here are a lot of ATM machine where you can use your visa card, credit card, Master card, Maestro card. You can find ATM machines nearly every city.

Q: What are the health requirements and facilities for Nepal?

A: Nepal has three different political regions which are Himalaya, Hill and Terai(flat). A lot of different types of mosquitos are found in different region. In Terai many diseases are found because of Mosquito bites so the best way to protect your health here is protect from mosquito. Then be careful for foods.

Q: What to wear in Nepal?

A: Shirts, T-shirts, light pants, trousers are normal clothes in Nepal. If you are trekking be sure to bring warm jackets, sweater, fleece and other warm and layer able clothes. You can find many different garments in Nepal.

Q: What about safety and security in Nepal?

A: Here are Army, police, armed police, Tourist police. Tourists are always safe here. “Guest are Gods” for Nepali. Tourist police are always attending to help only for tourists. For security and travel related assistance, you can reach any of the officers from telephone 4-247041, 4-429750 during 11 a.m to 5 p.m.

Q: What time from GMT?

A: Nepal has +5:45 hours from GMT

Q: Can I bring my medications with me?

A: Yes. We request you to bring all those medicine if you are having any medicines. Make sure to bring prescriptions and the medications in its original containers to avoid custom inspection hassle.

Q: What are the trekking seasons in Nepal?

A: Here are trekking places for all the seasons like Mustang, Jomsom, Upper Manang, Dolpo and Manang are rain shadow area. These areas are called desert of Nepal too. However the best time is September to December and March to June. You can find good places to trek somewhere in the Himalayas at anytime of the year.

Since Nepal is a country of diversification with its geography and climate, a nature lover can always make it as their destination of trekking year round. Short and lower elevation trekking can be done round of the year.

Q: What physical fitness do I need to trek in Nepal?

A: If you are trekking in easy grade of trek or touring any physical condition is ok but you must have courage and you must have power to walk. If you are going for difficult level of trek then you need to be fit and able to walk 4-8 hours per day. Whatever we can make itinerary as your wish and physical condition too where you can walk short and rest more.

Q: What group size is better?

A: More than one person is best because of price and priority in the trekking region. we would be glad to manage biggest group size. Our normal and typical group size is from 2 up to 20 persons.

Q: Can we make won our itinerary?

A: Yes, we would appreciate your won itinerary for Nepal.

Q: What equipment’s do I need to trek in Nepal?

A: Please check in the packing or check list. We explain well there what you should bring?

Most of the equipment you can buy in Kathmandu in cheaper too.

Q: What does mean Tea House Trek?

A: A tea house is the accommodation place, after long day’s walk where you will arrive. They are called Guest house, lodge, hotel, resorts or tea house. Exact meaning of tea house is: where you can find tea and place for sleep and eat.

Q: What is Camping Trek?

A: Each of the days we make tent house for you which are in twin sharing. Each tent is specially designed and is water proof, wind proof and big enough. Thick foam mattresses are provided with good sleeping bags which is luxury which is like your own house in mountain.

Q: What can be expected from Tea House?

A: Most of the facilities are available in tea house. Bed, breakfast, lunch, dinner, hard and soft drink, running water, hot water, cold water, friendly behavior from the staff of tea house, testy and hygienic foods cook by experienced cook etc. In one word you can find tea to food and bed for night.

Q: What can be expected from Camping trek?

A: Camping trek is organized with all the facilities what is needed during trek. All the hot drink, soft drink, breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, hot water,

Q: Is altitude sickness serious?

A: Yes, altitude sickness or Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) is serious. If you do not know the symptoms of altitude sickness or you are not aware of information’s then it can take your life away. But do not worry. Our guides are well trained for first Aid and altitude sickness with its symptoms. Our professional guide will tell you more about it and they will well take care of you.

Q: What will happen in case of emergency?

A: “Magical Mystery Adventure” is aware for any emergency situation ready to handle it. Our guides are trained in first aid and can deal with most of the basic ailments that occur during a trek.

Q: Do travellers need insurance?

A: Yes, all the travellers must have travel insurance or life insurance. Every client should have his own insurance before coming to Nepal for case of emergency. Magical Mystery certainly helps you to come out from the emergency. Be sure to talk with your insurance provider and your doctor before coming to Nepal. We provide you more information if you need. Please send us in “inquiry“forms which you can find in button.

Q: What gear to bring?

Q: Can I store stuff that I do not use on trek?

A: Most of the hotels provide storage facility for free. If you want you can put all of your stuffs at our office too.

Q: Do I need travel insurance?

A: Yes, Personal travel insurance of guest is not included in “price include”. It is necessary that you do travel insurance before starting your trip in Nepal. We request you to forward your insurance details (policy number, 24-hour emergency telephone number, name of insurance company and insurance type) incase of emergency.

Q: Do I need a visa to visit Nepal?

A: Yes. You need visa to enter Nepal. You can get visa from Nepalese Embassy or Consulate in your country or you also can get visa upon arrival from Nepal airport.

Multiple entry 15 days: US $25
Multiple entry 30 days: US $40
Multiple entry 90 days: US $100

Note. You also need passport size photo, and suggest you to bring the exact change.
VISA fee and rules effective as per 16 July 2008.

Q: Can Tourist Extend their Visa?

A: Visa extension fee for 15 days or less is US $ 30 or equivalent convertible currency and visa extension fee for more than 15 days is US$ 2 per day

Tourist visa can be extended for a maximum period of 150 days in a single visa year (January – December).

Q: Are there Free Visa?

A: People from SAARC country does not need visa for 30 days..
Indian nationals do not require visa to enter Nepal.
Full name as it appears in your passport
Passport number, expiry date and place of issue
Date of birth
Emergency contact name and phone number
Passport photo copy
Details regarding any medical or dietary requirements
Your arrival details (time, date, flight no., airlines)

Note: All above info can be sent electronically via email attachment.

Q: Are trek / activities / program flexible?

A: Yes, all the activities or programs through “Magical Mystery Adventure” are flexible. If you have more time then you can take your time to explore the local and enjoy there. Your guide know better way. Just manage your time then all are flexible.

Q: Should I tip the guides and porters? If yes how much?

Tipping is not mandatory but always appreciated. There are not rules but as many clients do it which is now it is being like rule. If you feel to give tip we would just give you idea. It can be anywhere from $2- 5 dollars per day for the guide and $1.5 to 3 dollars per day for per porter. Remember that Tipping mean you are evaluating, giving grade and encouragement for your guide porter or other staffs.

Where my family can contact me in case of emergency?

Your family can always contact in following address.

Magical Mystery (Adventure) Treks and Expeditions (P) LTD.

GPO Box 11562, Kathmandu, Nepal
Phone No: 00977-1-98510 51290/ 9841226857/9841617119
Email: info@mysterymagical.com
Website: www.mysterymagical.com